Thursday 30 November 2017

Facing ORA-01033 / ORA-01157 while trying to run RCU for OBIEE installation

The OBIEE 11g instance in my local has got corrupted and I was trying to reinstall it. In the process, I was required to recreate the DEV_BIPLATFORM and DEV_MDS schema (DEV4_BIPLATFORM and DEV4_MDS in my case).

Before running the RCU for creating new schemas, I had gone to the DB and have dropped the schemas. Point to be noted I have not dropped them using RCU rather I have manually dropped them using SQL Developer.

As there is a shortage of space in my local, I thought of deleting the DBF files also.


And I have done Shift + Delete these 2 files.

Now when I try to log in the RCU using my SYS account, I am facing error 'ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress'.

I have tried to connect to the SYS account using SQL Developer and facing the same error 'ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress'.


As I am unable to log in to the DB SYS account, I try to log in to SQLPLUS using the command prompt as '/'. And this time I am successful.

Now I try to alter the DB open (alter database open), and that revealed that Oracle can't identify/ lock data file 14 and 15.

A bit of googling revealed that it is due to deleting those 2 DBF files from the Oracle folder. The DB is unable to start completely as it is still looking for those 2 files.

Oracle docs note this on the ORA-01157 error:

ORA-01157: cannot identify/lock data file string - see DBWR trace file

Cause: The background process was either unable to find one of the data files or failed to lock it because the file was already in use.

The database will prohibit access to this file but other files will be unaffected. However, the first instance to open the database will need to access all online data files. Accompanying error from the operating system describes why the file could not be identified.

Action: Have operating system makefile available to the database. Then either open the database or do ALTER SYSTEM CHECK DATAFILES.


Obviously, I have made a mistake by deleting those 2 files manually, and now I am unable to use my DB. Now, what could be the resolution ?

There could be different ways out, including restoring the files. But I do not have the files and I want a quick and easy solution.

I run the command 'alter database datafile 14 OFFLINE DROP' (and for datafile 15 also).  And it alters the DB.

Next, I try to run 'alter database open' once again, and I this time I was successful. And these steps do the magic and resolves my problem with RCU, and puts me back on track for OBIEE installation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Implementing & Testing Row Level Security in Power BI

I have suffered a great deal of pain while implementing and more so while validating Row Level Security in Power BI. Let me try to capture a...