Saturday 9 September 2023

Working with Power BI Bookmarks - Cross filtering

Unlike few other data visualization tools such as Tableau or Qlik, for Power BI the cross filtering interaction across reports are limited to a single page, the only alternative being Drill Through, however that requires multiple clicks. I was trying to find out a way to recreate similar experience of cross filtering interaction across reports in Power BI. 

Let me first show the end output, I have created a simple sales dashboard using some dummy data. 


There are two pages Summary and Details,


And the interaction is present between the two pages. To illustrate that, let me select Product Category 'Furniture' from the top, and as expected other reports are showing for 'Furniture' only. 


Now, if I go to Details, it is also showing for 'Furniture' only. 

Let us try to explore the technicalities. I initially thought, this would be fairly simple using Bookmarks and Selections. I have created a single page with all the visuals, and have added a small empty section at the bottom.  


Next I have performed 3 steps,

  1. Enabled the Bookmark and Selection view
  2. Hidden the Details table
  3. Created a bookmark called Summary


The same way I have hidden other charts to create another bookmark called Details.

Next I have added a Bookmark Button at the bottom and made it appear like tabs. And point to be remembered everything is in a single page. 


And I thought this would be it, but to my surprise I found out that cross filtering interaction is not working between 2 bookmarks also πŸ‘ΊπŸ‘ΏπŸ’€. I have to find a work around to overcome this, and make it appear like cross filtering interaction across tabs. 

To overcome this I have added a white shape, and instead of hiding / unhiding the Details table I am hiding / unhiding this white shape in the bookmarks.


So essentially my Details table is always visible it is the shape that is acting as a curtain. 


And that does the magic of deception, it appears that we are cross filtering across two pages.

However, to emphasis this is not a full proof solution just a work around. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Implementing & Testing Row Level Security in Power BI

I have suffered a great deal of pain while implementing and more so while validating Row Level Security in Power BI. Let me try to capture a...