Tuesday 6 June 2017

My First Blog - Using Progress DataDirect Connectors

Hi Guys,

This is my first ever blog. I had a wish on writing something on BI for quite some time, but unable to think of a topic to start with. Then few days back my Boss asked me to try SFDC as a Data Source for the OBIEE environment. And while doing that the idea of this topic came. Frankly I have used DataDirect Connectors before also for connecting OBIEE in Unix with MS SQL Server DB in Windows. But back then I have not tried my hands on the Cloud. Hope it will be useful.

We sometimes come across requirements for connecting to various Data Sources like Hive, Greenplum, SFDC, Teradata etc using ODBC / JDBC. 
This can be quite easily achieved using 3rd Party Drivers from Progress, Simba, Easysoft, Rssbus etc.
In this case we are going ahead with Progress DataDirect (https://www.progress.com). It comes up with solution for connecting to multiple different Data Sources. As mentioned in the site.

For this discussion as source we are taking SFDC (www.salesforce.com). 
First we have to select the source (SFDC in this case), Interface and OS and download the driver.

Next step is to install and use it to create ODBC DSN.

This ODBC driver though downloaded for SFDC but it can be used for multiple other sources also.


To create a DSN select the desired driver and fill up the details. In our case the SFDC.

And Test.

Voila we good to use the DSN. We can use it in OBIEE 11g / 12c RPD or any other BI Tool also.
Next time we will try to explore other sources like Google Analytics or MS SQL Azure. 

Till then happy reading and happy blogging. Please give your comments.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Implementing & Testing Row Level Security in Power BI

I have suffered a great deal of pain while implementing and more so while validating Row Level Security in Power BI. Let me try to capture a...